This Week’s Construction Activities and Closures
- I-5 NORTH Construction Advisory - SR-134 to Buena Vista Street, Feb 23-March 2, 2018
- I-5 Construction Advisory - SR-134 to Buena Vista Street, Jan 19 - Jan 26, 2018
- I-5 Construction Advisory - SR-134 to Buena Vista Street, Jan 13 - Jan 19, 2018
- July 2017 Video Update I-5 Corridor
- 4th Annual I-5 Empire Project Community Open House is June 28!
- I-5 Projects Update December 2016 (Video)
Schedule: Construction starts mid-2014
Cost: $355 million
- Construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV, or carpool) lanes in each direction of I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street.
- Construct a new interchange at I-5 and Empire Avenue.
- Elevate the railroad at Buena Vista St and San Fernando Boulevard to eliminate the street-level crossing.
- Realign and elevate the railroad adjacent to Empire Avenue.
- Reconstruct (remove and replace) the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing with a wider structure and realign the on- and off-ramps.
- Improve the intersection of San Fernando Boulevard/Victory Place at Lincoln St.
Magnolia Boulevard to Buena Vista Street
View the project map
The increasing use of Burbank’s Bob Hope Airport and construction of the Empire Center at the former Lockheed site impacts both regional and local transportation networks, requiring measures to improve freeway access, efficiency and integration of a multimodal transportation system. Currently, I-5 traffic is forced to use circuitous routes through residential and local city streets to get to the airport and other destinations, increasing traffic congestion.
This project will enhance I-5 in Burbank and improve traffic circulation by adding carpool lanes in each direction between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street, constructing a new interchange at I-5 and Empire Avenue, reconstructing the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing and realigning ramps, elevating the railroad at Buena Vista Street and San Fernando Boulevard and adjacent to Empire Avenue, and improving the intersection at San Fernando Boulevard/Victory Place and Lincoln Street. The project will relieve congestion, improve traffic flow and provide easy access to Bob Hope Airport and shopping centers.
Construction is expected to be completed in 2019. The project cost is $355 million.