- Valley View Ave. Interchange Project - August 23- August 30, 2019
- VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT - Jan 21, 2018
- VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT - Jan 14, 2018
Weekly Construction Updates
Improvements: HOV lane, one mixed-flow lane in each direction, interchange modifications at Valley View Avenue and Artesia Boulevard, frontage road modifications.
Schedule: Construction began in late 2016
Currently: 46% complete.
Completion: Late 2021
Cost: $640 Million
PDF Map Downloads are Below
Valley View Staging Map_stage-2-phase-1.pdf
Valley View Staging Map_stage-2-phase-2.pdf
Valley View Staging Map_stage-2-phase-3.pdf
Valley View Staging Map_stage-3-phase-1.pdf
Valley View Staging Map_stage-3-phase-2.pdf
Valley View Avenue Interchange
In mid-November of 2016 Caltrans began construction on the Valley View Avenue Interchange Project, which will add a High Occupancy Vehicle and mixed-flow lane in each direction along approximately one and a half miles of I-5 at Valley View Avenue, from Artesia Boulevard undercrossing to North Fork Coyote Creek. The project extends through the cities of Buena Park, La Mirada, Cerritos, and Santa Fe Springs.
Three bridges will be reconstructed: the Valley View Avenue Bridge at I-5, the North Firestone Boulevard Bridge over Coyote Creek, and the I-5 freeway bridge at Coyote Creek. Lanes will be kept open on the Valley View Avenue Bridge during construction. There will also be improvements to the interchange at Valley View Avenue and adjacent frontage roads. The new bridge will include a railroad overpass.
Construction on this project is 44% complete.
Completion of first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Revised to *late 2019.
Completion of second half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Revised to *late 2021.
Completion of entire I-5 Valley View Ave. Interchange project: Revised to *late 2021.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
There are currently three sections of the first half of the Valley View Ave. Bridge under construction:
- One section crosses over I-5 in Santa Fe Springs. Final concrete was poured on the deck. A traffic barrier rail is now under construction. Photos below:
- A second section crosses over Arbor Pl. in Cerritos. The final layer of concrete has been poured on this section. This section was connected to the middle section by steel girders in August 9. Photos below:
- A third, middle section will connect over the railroad tracks. The final layer of concrete has been poured and is curing. Photos below from July 9 through 30:
- Steel enforced concrete girders were placed between the two sections of the first half of the bridge across the railroad tracks near Arbor Place on the night of Friday, August 9. Photos below from August 13 and 20:
- The contractor constructed the soffit and the stem walls along the edge of the deck of the ramp that will connect Firestone Blvd. to the Valley View Ave. Bridge. The first layer of concrete was poured and workers are now installing a “mat” of rebar in preparation for the final layer of concrete. Photos below show progress from May through August 13:
5. Workers constructed the “soffit” (deck underside) and stem walls along the sides for the Valley View Ave. off ramp from southbound I-5 connecting to the bridge. Then they constructed a rebar “mat” across the surface. Now they are securing forms over the stem walls in preparation for the first concrete pour. Photos below from June 11 through August 20:
- Construction of two bridges side-by-side over Coyote Creek east of I-5 near Trojan Way in La Mirada is complete. One bridge will carry new lanes of Firestone Blvd. and one will carry the new lanes of I-5. The contractor has demolished the Coyote Creek Bridge west of I-5 in Cerritos. The concrete debris will be crushed into aggregate to use as base for new lanes. The old rebar will be recycled. Next the contractor will begin pile driving to install support columns in the creek bed. Photos below from August 6 through August 20:
- Firestone Blvd. is restricted to one lane in each direction between Valley View Ave. and the Firestone Blvd. off ramp from northbound I-5 in La Mirada. Trucks over 25′ in length and /or over 2500 lbs. may NOT:
1. Turn left onto Firestone Blvd, from the off ramp. (Right turn only permitted).
2. Turn left on Firestone Blvd. from Valley View Ave.Detour map below:
N. Firestone Blvd. is closed between Knott Ave. and Trojan Way to allow widening of northbound I-5, reconstruction of a new Firestone Blvd, to the east, and the reconstruction of Coyote Creek Bridge. Detour map below: